Church dating sites
In 1995, local residents formed a Trust with the sole purpose of ensuring the preservation of the fabric and contents of the two churches in the area - St. The churches are a rich and living inheritance which we have a responsibility to preserve and pass on to future generations.
They are a significant part of our historical and architectural heritage and an integral and beautiful feature of the landscape of our villages.
It is probable that this was a Saxon holy place, and due to the presence of Bonville Springs, a 'holy well' close to the River Wey, (see: Bonville Spring) Peper Harow may have been a place of pilgrimage.
The ancient Yew tree in the churchyard has been dated at over 600 years old, and some local belief puts its age at 1000 years.
We believe they belong to everyone and not just the worshipping congregation.
Many who are not regular churchgoers still wish to use the churches for weddings, christenings and funerals and to attend special services at Christmas, Remembrance Day and Easter.
His work at Allan Towers brought him to the attention of wealthy patrons and Lord Midleton commissioned him to decorate his estate in Surrey and Ireland. His additions include the north aisle, the Mortuary Chapel, the tower arch and the chancel windows. The use of neo-Norman style is almost unique in Pugin's work.
During the year, several Country services are held to mark Lammastide, Rogation Sunday, to bless the Plough and in the Harvest, and a special Horse Service is held to bless these animals.It is inevitable that these buildings, over the years, will need regular maintenance and restoration.Hence our concern and the reason for setting up the Trust. Nicholas and has been a parish church since before 1301. Nicolas was a real person but all the stories concerning him are purely legendary.A large number of lay brothers, often local peasants, laboured with the monks growing crops as well as managing oxen and sheep.Oxenford Grange, forming a boundary of the Peper Harow estate, was one of several sites in the area where grain and farm produce were stored by the monks.